Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Year of Hiking, Week 2: Ob Hill


McMURDO STATION, ANTARCTICA


Observation Hill looms just 800 feet over town, so named for the 360 degree view of the area. Atop the summit, a large wooden cross stands in memorial to Robert Falcon Scott and his South Pole party who perished in March 1912, on their way back from the Pole. The words are slowing wearing away, as the endless wind wears down the wood. Ever so faintly on the upright, I can make out the phrase, “To strive to seek to find and not to yield.”

The trail to the top of Ob Hill winds maybe ¼ mile, nearly every one of the thousand steps vertical. The short, steep climb is not as enjoyable as some of the other walks on the peninsula, which is perhaps why it had been years since I’d made my way to the top. But an early end to the work day, and a nearly cloudless day inspired me to make my way up hill today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment